How does Craigslist Make Money – Unicornomy.com Analysis
How does Craigslist make money is a question that almost all newbie on craigslist ask. Well it is one of those internet players (older internet players) who have survived the dot com burst and made it out strong. The underlying principle was simple – give people of the 90s a platform or a medium to advertise their stuff for sale, gigs, books etc. for a fee and get lacs and millions of other people to view those ads and give the advertiser some monetary advantage.
Craigslist is one of the earliest Classified Websites and follow a simplistic approach with respect to the UI/ UX of the site and the overall appearance of the website. It is a privately owned company and with bare minimum staff as required. The business model of Craigslist is pretty simple as most of the postings are free but in some specific areas about some niche services.
How does Craigslist make Money
Craigslist is free for most users who post buy / sell ads and other listings. Some listings in specific areas are paid which are listed down as follows:
- Job postings in selected areas — $15 – $75 (fee varies by area) : When some one tries to use Craigslist to get responses for a Job Opening, they pay 15 to 75 dollars per listing depending on the location of posting
- Brokered apartment rentals in New York City area—$10 : When some one posts for an apartment being offered on rent, they pay 10 dollar only if the apartment is in NYC
- Therapeutic services in the United States—$10 (reposts of live ads $5) : Some one offering these services to patients pays 10 dollar on every fresh listing and 5 dollars on every time the listing is refreshed
- Tickets by-dealer in the United States—$5 : Event tickets by dealers are charged 5 dollars per event
- Cars/trucks by-dealer in the United States—$5 : Very Popular people usually use Craigslist to find used cars for purchase, Craigslist charges 5 dollar to the seller of the vehicle to post ads pertaining to sell their vehicle.
Adult Ads (Escorts etc.) : People offering these services were charged for every ad, but this had to discontinued as this resembled promoting prostitution
Business Model of Craigslist
The business model is pretty straightforward, they invest in setting up the infrastructure (hosting, servers etc), making sure they appear in search results for requirement keywords (car on sale in nyc etc), thus ensuring they have sufficient number of pageviews every day so that sellers and promoters have enough visibility so that Craigslist can charge the advertisers for the uplterior monetary benefit.
Hope you have understood How does Craigslist make money , please drop in your feedback in the section below.
Disclaimer: The understanding of the How does Craigslist make money is of the Author’s himself, neither any company or qualified consultants have confirmed or explained the same to the author and the descriptions, stats, facts and figures, if used, are either obtained through secondary web research or interrogation of the users / founders or other resources on the web. Please use your own discretion to use this info when required and by continuing to read you agree to indemnify the author & Unicornomy from all liability arising out of using this info on your own.